Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 05:08:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 50%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 05:08:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 449.03 meters/second, 1616.5 km/hour, 1004.4 miles/hour or 872.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.7"||16.74 mi||west||0° 00' 11.0"||0.21 mi||north||16.74 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 48.8"||1004.37 mi||west||0° 11' 07.8"||12.75 mi||north||1004.35 mi|
|24 hours||10° 48' 08.6"||745.84 mi||east||4° 17' 49.4"||295.27 mi||north||799.94 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Rawaki||Thu 6:08 PM||814 km||506 miles||439 nm||SSW|
|Baker Island||Wed 5:08 PM||888 km||552 miles||479 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Thu 7:08 PM||1331 km||827 miles||719 nm||E|
|Fakaofo||Thu 6:08 PM||1438 km||894 miles||777 nm||S|
|Funafuti||Thu 5:08 PM||1848 km||1148 miles||998 nm||SW|
|Apia *||Thu 7:08 PM||1935 km||1203 miles||1045 nm||S|
|Tarawa||Thu 5:08 PM||1993 km||1238 miles||1076 nm||W|
|Majuro||Thu 5:08 PM||2210 km||1373 miles||1193 nm||WNW|
|Honolulu||Wed 7:08 PM||2324 km||1444 miles||1255 nm||NNE|
|Alofi||Wed 6:08 PM||2493 km||1549 miles||1346 nm||S|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.