Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 05:08:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 50%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 05:08:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 449.03 meters/second, 1616.5 km/hour, 1004.4 miles/hour or 872.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.7"||16.74 mi||west||0° 00' 11.0"||0.21 mi||north||16.74 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 48.8"||1004.44 mi||west||0° 11' 07.8"||12.75 mi||north||1004.42 mi|
|24 hours||10° 48' 08.3"||745.88 mi||east||4° 17' 48.4"||295.27 mi||north||799.97 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Rawaki||Thu 6:08 PM||808 km||502 miles||437 nm||S|
|Baker Island||Wed 5:08 PM||860 km||535 miles||465 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Thu 7:08 PM||1361 km||846 miles||735 nm||E|
|Fakaofo||Thu 6:08 PM||1434 km||891 miles||774 nm||S|
|Funafuti||Thu 5:08 PM||1827 km||1135 miles||987 nm||SW|
|Apia *||Thu 7:08 PM||1932 km||1200 miles||1043 nm||S|
|Tarawa||Thu 5:08 PM||1963 km||1220 miles||1060 nm||W|
|Majuro||Thu 5:08 PM||2180 km||1355 miles||1177 nm||WNW|
|Honolulu||Wed 7:08 PM||2339 km||1453 miles||1263 nm||NNE|
|Alofi||Wed 6:08 PM||2493 km||1549 miles||1346 nm||S|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.