Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 05:18:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 50%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 05:18:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 449.02 meters/second, 1616.5 km/hour, 1004.4 miles/hour or 872.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.7"||16.74 mi||west||0° 00' 11.0"||0.21 mi||north||16.74 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 49.1"||1004.34 mi||west||0° 11' 07.5"||12.74 mi||north||1004.32 mi|
|24 hours||10° 48' 05.6"||745.76 mi||east||4° 17' 40.8"||295.11 mi||north||799.79 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Baker Island||Wed 5:18 PM||653 km||406 miles||353 nm||SW|
|Rawaki||Thu 6:18 PM||806 km||501 miles||435 nm||S|
|Fakaofo||Thu 6:18 PM||1425 km||885 miles||769 nm||S|
|Kiritimati||Thu 7:18 PM||1599 km||994 miles||863 nm||E|
|Funafuti||Thu 5:18 PM||1674 km||1040 miles||904 nm||SW|
|Tarawa||Thu 5:18 PM||1726 km||1072 miles||932 nm||W|
|Apia *||Thu 7:18 PM||1918 km||1192 miles||1036 nm||S|
|Majuro||Thu 5:18 PM||1946 km||1209 miles||1051 nm||WNW|
|Yaren||Thu 5:18 PM||2429 km||1509 miles||1312 nm||W|
|Honolulu||Wed 7:18 PM||2470 km||1535 miles||1333 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.