Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 05:24:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 50%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 05:24:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 449.01 meters/second, 1616.4 km/hour, 1004.4 miles/hour or 872.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.7"||16.74 mi||west||0° 00' 11.0"||0.21 mi||north||16.74 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 49.2"||1004.32 mi||west||0° 11' 07.4"||12.74 mi||north||1004.30 mi|
|24 hours||10° 48' 03.8"||745.71 mi||east||4° 17' 35.5"||295.01 mi||north||799.70 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Baker Island||Wed 5:24 PM||528 km||328 miles||285 nm||SW|
|Rawaki||Thu 6:24 PM||844 km||524 miles||456 nm||SSE|
|Fakaofo||Thu 6:24 PM||1440 km||895 miles||778 nm||S|
|Tarawa||Thu 5:24 PM||1566 km||973 miles||846 nm||W|
|Funafuti||Thu 5:24 PM||1583 km||984 miles||855 nm||SSW|
|Kiritimati||Thu 7:24 PM||1760 km||1094 miles||950 nm||E|
|Majuro||Thu 5:24 PM||1788 km||1111 miles||965 nm||WNW|
|Apia *||Thu 7:24 PM||1925 km||1196 miles||1040 nm||S|
|Yaren||Thu 5:24 PM||2271 km||1411 miles||1226 nm||W|
|Alofi||Wed 6:24 PM||2521 km||1567 miles||1361 nm||S|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.