Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 11:34:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 53%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 11:34:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 448.43 meters/second, 1614.4 km/hour, 1003.1 miles/hour or 871.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.9"||16.72 mi||west||0° 00' 10.8"||0.21 mi||north||16.72 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 56.3"||1003.10 mi||west||0° 10' 55.9"||12.52 mi||north||1003.05 mi|
|24 hours||10° 46' 35.5"||743.01 mi||east||4° 11' 57.4"||288.59 mi||north||794.40 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Banda Aceh||Thu 6:34 PM||205 km||128 miles||111 nm||WNW|
|Medan||Thu 6:34 PM||226 km||141 miles||122 nm||ESE|
|Pematangsiantar||Thu 6:34 PM||296 km||184 miles||160 nm||SE|
|George Town||Thu 7:34 PM||385 km||239 miles||208 nm||ENE|
|Phuket||Thu 6:34 PM||390 km||242 miles||211 nm||NNE|
|Alor Setar||Thu 7:34 PM||412 km||256 miles||223 nm||ENE|
|Ipoh||Thu 7:34 PM||463 km||288 miles||250 nm||E|
|Hat Yai||Thu 6:34 PM||469 km||291 miles||253 nm||NE|
|Kuala Lumpur||Thu 7:34 PM||555 km||345 miles||300 nm||ESE|
|Seremban||Thu 7:34 PM||592 km||368 miles||320 nm||ESE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.