Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, December 21, 2012 at 00:46:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 58%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, December 21, 2012 at 00:46:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 446.64 meters/second, 1607.9 km/hour, 999.1 miles/hour or 868.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 33.1"||16.65 mi||west||0° 00' 10.5"||0.20 mi||north||16.65 mi|
|1 hour||14° 33' 05.2"||999.00 mi||west||0° 10' 26.7"||11.96 mi||north||998.88 mi|
|24 hours||10° 45' 46.2"||738.91 mi||east||3° 58' 10.5"||272.81 mi||north||784.16 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Escuintla||Thu 6:46 PM||920 km||572 miles||497 nm||NNE|
|Guatemala||Thu 6:46 PM||963 km||599 miles||520 nm||NNE|
|San Salvador||Thu 6:46 PM||964 km||599 miles||520 nm||NE|
|Santa Ana||Thu 6:46 PM||965 km||599 miles||521 nm||NE|
|Santa María Huatulco||Thu 6:46 PM||987 km||614 miles||533 nm||N|
|Galapagos Islands||Thu 6:46 PM||1052 km||654 miles||568 nm||SSE|
|Managua||Thu 6:46 PM||1100 km||684 miles||594 nm||ENE|
|Tegucigalpa||Thu 6:46 PM||1142 km||710 miles||617 nm||NE|
|Acapulco||Thu 6:46 PM||1220 km||758 miles||659 nm||NNW|
|San Jose||Thu 6:46 PM||1229 km||763 miles||663 nm||ENE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.