Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, December 26, 2012 at 10:02:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 96%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, December 26, 2012 at 10:02:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 419.65 meters/second, 1510.7 km/hour, 938.7 miles/hour or 815.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.7"||15.65 mi||west||0° 00' 01.0"||0.02 mi||north||15.65 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 47.6"||938.39 mi||west||0° 01' 03.2"||1.21 mi||north||938.34 mi|
|24 hours||11° 43' 06.1"||757.77 mi||east||0° 01' 32.4"||1.77 mi||south||757.84 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Midway||Tue 11:02 PM||882 km||548 miles||476 nm||NNW|
|Honolulu||Wed 12:02 AM||1691 km||1051 miles||913 nm||E|
|Wake Island||Wed 10:02 PM||2017 km||1253 miles||1089 nm||W|
|Majuro||Wed 10:02 PM||2188 km||1359 miles||1181 nm||SW|
|Baker Island||Tue 10:02 PM||2296 km||1427 miles||1240 nm||S|
|Tarawa||Wed 10:02 PM||2562 km||1592 miles||1384 nm||SW|
|Kiritimati||Thu 12:02 AM||2779 km||1727 miles||1501 nm||SE|
|Yaren||Wed 10:02 PM||3137 km||1949 miles||1694 nm||SW|
|Funafuti||Wed 10:02 PM||3326 km||2067 miles||1796 nm||SSW|
|Fakaofo||Wed 11:02 PM||3354 km||2084 miles||1811 nm||S|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.