Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, December 27, 2012 at 09:32:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 99%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, December 27, 2012 at 09:32:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 419.62 meters/second, 1510.6 km/hour, 938.7 miles/hour or 815.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||15.65 mi||west||0° 00' 01.1"||0.02 mi||south||15.65 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 39.4"||938.41 mi||west||0° 01' 14.2"||1.42 mi||south||938.47 mi|
|24 hours||11° 42' 52.5"||757.66 mi||east||0° 56' 24.1"||64.67 mi||south||762.72 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Hilo||Wed 11:32 PM||123 km||76 miles||66 nm||S|
|Wailuku||Wed 11:32 PM||140 km||87 miles||76 nm||W|
|Kailua-Kona||Wed 11:32 PM||156 km||97 miles||84 nm||SW|
|Napili-Honokowai||Wed 11:32 PM||159 km||99 miles||86 nm||W|
|Honolulu||Wed 11:32 PM||286 km||178 miles||155 nm||WNW|
|Kiritimati||Thu 11:32 PM||2109 km||1310 miles||1139 nm||S|
|Midway||Wed 10:32 PM||2392 km||1486 miles||1291 nm||WNW|
|Baker Island||Wed 9:32 PM||3253 km||2021 miles||1756 nm||SW|
|San Francisco||Thu 1:32 AM||3665 km||2277 miles||1979 nm||NE|
|Fakaofo||Thu 10:32 PM||3773 km||2345 miles||2037 nm||SSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.