Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, December 27, 2012 at 10:02:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 99%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, December 27, 2012 at 10:02:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 419.65 meters/second, 1510.7 km/hour, 938.7 miles/hour or 815.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||15.65 mi||west||0° 00' 01.1"||0.02 mi||south||15.65 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 39.4"||938.40 mi||west||0° 01' 16.9"||1.47 mi||south||938.47 mi|
|24 hours||11° 42' 47.8"||757.57 mi||east||0° 57' 30.9"||65.94 mi||south||762.79 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Honolulu||Thu 12:02 AM||449 km||279 miles||242 nm||E|
|Wailuku||Thu 12:02 AM||587 km||365 miles||317 nm||E|
|Midway||Wed 11:02 PM||1746 km||1085 miles||943 nm||WNW|
|Kiritimati||Fri 12:02 AM||2158 km||1341 miles||1165 nm||SSE|
|Baker Island||Wed 10:02 PM||2762 km||1716 miles||1491 nm||SW|
|Majuro||Thu 10:02 PM||3244 km||2016 miles||1752 nm||WSW|
|Wake Island||Thu 10:02 PM||3265 km||2029 miles||1763 nm||W|
|Tarawa||Thu 10:02 PM||3448 km||2143 miles||1862 nm||SW|
|Fakaofo||Thu 11:02 PM||3482 km||2164 miles||1880 nm||SSW|
|Adak||Thu 12:02 AM||3670 km||2280 miles||1982 nm||NNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.