Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:22:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 100%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM|
|This phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:59 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:22:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 422.38 meters/second, 1520.6 km/hour, 944.8 miles/hour or 821.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.7"||15.75 mi||west||0° 00' 03.5"||0.07 mi||south||15.75 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 50.1"||944.54 mi||west||0° 03' 37.2"||4.15 mi||south||944.72 mi|
|24 hours||11° 35' 28.5"||754.42 mi||east||1° 52' 02.8"||128.45 mi||south||769.49 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Hilo||Fri 12:22 AM||23 km||14 miles||13 nm||SE|
|Kailua-Kona||Fri 12:22 AM||79 km||49 miles||43 nm||WSW|
|Wailuku||Fri 12:22 AM||175 km||109 miles||94 nm||NW|
|Napili-Honokowai||Fri 12:22 AM||195 km||121 miles||105 nm||NW|
|Honolulu||Fri 12:22 AM||317 km||197 miles||171 nm||WNW|
|Kiritimati||Sat 12:22 AM||1999 km||1242 miles||1079 nm||S|
|Midway||Thu 11:22 PM||2429 km||1509 miles||1311 nm||WNW|
|Baker Island||Thu 10:22 PM||3172 km||1971 miles||1713 nm||SW|
|Fakaofo||Fri 11:22 PM||3672 km||2282 miles||1983 nm||SSW|
|San Francisco||Fri 2:22 AM||3742 km||2325 miles||2020 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.