Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 14:24:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 84%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:59 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 14:24:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 446.15 meters/second, 1606.2 km/hour, 998.0 miles/hour or 867.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.5"||16.63 mi||west||0° 00' 10.5"||0.20 mi||south||16.63 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 33.3"||997.90 mi||west||0° 10' 36.6"||12.15 mi||south||998.17 mi|
|24 hours||10° 59' 26.2"||754.18 mi||east||4° 23' 54.9"||302.24 mi||south||815.21 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Baker Island||Tue 2:24 AM||1162 km||722 miles||628 nm||SW|
|Kiritimati||Wed 4:24 AM||1395 km||867 miles||753 nm||ESE|
|Fakaofo||Wed 3:24 AM||1858 km||1155 miles||1003 nm||S|
|Honolulu||Tue 4:24 AM||1946 km||1209 miles||1051 nm||NE|
|Tarawa||Wed 2:24 AM||2129 km||1323 miles||1149 nm||WSW|
|Funafuti||Wed 2:24 AM||2198 km||1366 miles||1187 nm||SW|
|Majuro||Wed 2:24 AM||2218 km||1378 miles||1198 nm||W|
|Apia *||Wed 4:24 AM||2355 km||1464 miles||1272 nm||S|
|Midway||Tue 3:24 AM||2494 km||1549 miles||1346 nm||NNW|
|Yaren||Wed 2:24 AM||2839 km||1764 miles||1533 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.