Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 15:24:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 84%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:59 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 15:24:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 446.33 meters/second, 1606.8 km/hour, 998.4 miles/hour or 867.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.5"||16.64 mi||west||0° 00' 10.5"||0.20 mi||south||16.64 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 33.4"||998.29 mi||west||0° 10' 38.9"||12.20 mi||south||998.56 mi|
|24 hours||349° 00' 25.2"||754.64 mi||west||4° 24' 38.8"||303.08 mi||south||815.86 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Majuro||Wed 3:24 AM||612 km||381 miles||331 nm||W|
|Tarawa||Wed 3:24 AM||750 km||466 miles||405 nm||SSW|
|Baker Island||Tue 3:24 AM||1070 km||665 miles||577 nm||SE|
|Yaren||Wed 3:24 AM||1378 km||856 miles||744 nm||SW|
|Wake Island||Wed 3:24 AM||1738 km||1080 miles||938 nm||NW|
|Funafuti||Wed 3:24 AM||1745 km||1084 miles||942 nm||S|
|Palikir||Wed 2:24 AM||2053 km||1275 miles||1108 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Wed 4:24 AM||2254 km||1401 miles||1217 nm||SE|
|Midway||Tue 4:24 AM||2421 km||1504 miles||1307 nm||NNE|
|Honiara||Wed 2:24 AM||2607 km||1620 miles||1408 nm||SW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.