Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 14:18:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 76%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:59 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 14:18:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 449.10 meters/second, 1616.8 km/hour, 1004.6 miles/hour or 873.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.4"||16.74 mi||west||0° 00' 11.2"||0.22 mi||south||16.74 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 25.0"||1004.51 mi||west||0° 11' 20.5"||12.99 mi||south||1004.67 mi|
|24 hours||11° 07' 49.5"||768.94 mi||east||4° 36' 26.6"||316.57 mi||south||832.22 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Thu 4:18 AM||162 km||101 miles||87 nm||SW|
|Honolulu||Wed 4:18 AM||2048 km||1273 miles||1106 nm||N|
|Fakaofo||Thu 3:18 AM||2141 km||1331 miles||1156 nm||SW|
|Baker Island||Wed 2:18 AM||2268 km||1409 miles||1225 nm||W|
|Papeete||Wed 4:18 AM||2373 km||1475 miles||1281 nm||SSE|
|Apia *||Thu 4:18 AM||2518 km||1564 miles||1359 nm||SW|
|Rarotonga||Wed 4:18 AM||2693 km||1673 miles||1454 nm||S|
|Alofi||Wed 3:18 AM||2848 km||1769 miles||1538 nm||SSW|
|Funafuti||Thu 2:18 AM||2998 km||1863 miles||1619 nm||WSW|
|Nukualofa||Thu 3:18 AM||3363 km||2090 miles||1816 nm||SW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.