Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 14:44:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 76%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 14:44:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 449.13 meters/second, 1616.9 km/hour, 1004.7 miles/hour or 873.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.4"||16.74 mi||west||0° 00' 11.2"||0.22 mi||south||16.75 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 24.5"||1004.64 mi||west||0° 11' 21.0"||13.00 mi||south||1004.81 mi|
|24 hours||11° 08' 05.3"||769.36 mi||east||4° 36' 34.6"||316.74 mi||south||832.62 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Thu 4:44 AM||621 km||386 miles||335 nm||E|
|Baker Island||Wed 2:44 AM||1544 km||960 miles||834 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Thu 3:44 AM||1634 km||1015 miles||882 nm||SW|
|Apia *||Thu 4:44 AM||2085 km||1296 miles||1126 nm||SSW|
|Honolulu||Wed 4:44 AM||2120 km||1318 miles||1145 nm||NNE|
|Funafuti||Thu 2:44 AM||2351 km||1461 miles||1269 nm||WSW|
|Alofi||Wed 3:44 AM||2536 km||1576 miles||1369 nm||SSW|
|Rarotonga||Wed 4:44 AM||2677 km||1663 miles||1445 nm||S|
|Papeete||Wed 4:44 AM||2678 km||1664 miles||1446 nm||SSE|
|Tarawa||Thu 2:44 AM||2692 km||1673 miles||1453 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.