Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 15:36:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 76%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 15:36:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 449.18 meters/second, 1617.1 km/hour, 1004.8 miles/hour or 873.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.4"||16.75 mi||west||0° 00' 11.3"||0.22 mi||south||16.75 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 23.7"||1004.76 mi||west||0° 11' 22.0"||13.02 mi||south||1004.92 mi|
|24 hours||11° 08' 36.5"||770.06 mi||east||4° 36' 49.2"||317.02 mi||south||833.30 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Howland Island||Wed 3:36 AM||239 km||148 miles||129 nm||SSW|
|Baker Island||Wed 3:36 AM||291 km||181 miles||157 nm||SSW|
|Rawaki||Thu 4:36 AM||876 km||544 miles||473 nm||SE|
|Tarawa||Thu 3:36 AM||1293 km||803 miles||698 nm||W|
|Funafuti||Thu 3:36 AM||1366 km||849 miles||738 nm||SSW|
|Fakaofo||Thu 4:36 AM||1405 km||873 miles||759 nm||SSE|
|Majuro||Thu 3:36 AM||1564 km||972 miles||844 nm||WNW|
|Apia *||Thu 5:36 AM||1864 km||1158 miles||1006 nm||SSE|
|Yaren||Thu 3:36 AM||1994 km||1239 miles||1077 nm||W|
|Kiritimati||Thu 5:36 AM||2016 km||1253 miles||1089 nm||E|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.