Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 15:46:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 76%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 15:46:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 449.19 meters/second, 1617.1 km/hour, 1004.8 miles/hour or 873.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.4"||16.75 mi||west||0° 00' 11.3"||0.22 mi||south||16.75 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 23.6"||1004.79 mi||west||0° 11' 22.3"||13.02 mi||south||1004.94 mi|
|24 hours||11° 08' 42.6"||770.19 mi||east||4° 36' 51.9"||317.07 mi||south||833.43 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Howland Island||Wed 3:46 AM||241 km||150 miles||130 nm||SE|
|Baker Island||Wed 3:46 AM||306 km||190 miles||165 nm||SSE|
|Tarawa||Thu 3:46 AM||1024 km||637 miles||553 nm||W|
|Funafuti||Thu 3:46 AM||1269 km||789 miles||685 nm||SSW|
|Majuro||Thu 3:46 AM||1314 km||816 miles||709 nm||WNW|
|Fakaofo||Thu 4:46 AM||1512 km||940 miles||817 nm||SSE|
|Yaren||Thu 3:46 AM||1728 km||1074 miles||933 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Thu 5:46 AM||1936 km||1203 miles||1045 nm||SSE|
|Kiritimati||Thu 5:46 AM||2285 km||1420 miles||1234 nm||E|
|Suva *||Thu 4:46 AM||2327 km||1446 miles||1257 nm||S|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.