Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 13:48:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 67%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 13:48:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 449.18 meters/second, 1617.1 km/hour, 1004.8 miles/hour or 873.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.8"||16.75 mi||west||0° 00' 11.5"||0.22 mi||south||16.75 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 50.4"||1004.75 mi||west||0° 11' 37.7"||13.32 mi||south||1004.79 mi|
|24 hours||11° 27' 17.3"||792.07 mi||east||4° 37' 44.6"||318.09 mi||south||851.90 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Thu 4:18 AM||827 km||514 miles||446 nm||S|
|Papeete||Thu 3:48 AM||2156 km||1340 miles||1164 nm||SW|
|Kiritimati||Fri 3:48 AM||2171 km||1349 miles||1172 nm||W|
|Adamstown||Thu 5:48 AM||2731 km||1697 miles||1475 nm||SSE|
|Rarotonga||Thu 3:48 AM||3194 km||1985 miles||1725 nm||SW|
|Honolulu||Thu 3:48 AM||3325 km||2066 miles||1796 nm||NW|
|Fakaofo||Fri 2:48 AM||3761 km||2337 miles||2031 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Fri 3:48 AM||3939 km||2447 miles||2127 nm||WSW|
|Alofi||Thu 2:48 AM||3962 km||2462 miles||2140 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island *||Thu 8:48 AM||4168 km||2590 miles||2251 nm||SE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.