Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 14:58:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 66%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 14:58:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 449.11 meters/second, 1616.8 km/hour, 1004.6 miles/hour or 873.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.7"||16.74 mi||west||0° 00' 11.5"||0.22 mi||south||16.74 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 47.9"||1004.51 mi||west||0° 11' 37.8"||13.32 mi||south||1004.54 mi|
|24 hours||11° 28' 33.6"||793.38 mi||east||4° 37' 29.7"||317.79 mi||south||852.89 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Fri 4:58 AM||483 km||300 miles||261 nm||NNW|
|Papeete||Thu 4:58 AM||1834 km||1140 miles||991 nm||SSE|
|Fakaofo||Fri 3:58 AM||1969 km||1224 miles||1063 nm||WSW|
|Rarotonga||Thu 4:58 AM||2201 km||1367 miles||1188 nm||SSW|
|Apia *||Fri 4:58 AM||2262 km||1406 miles||1221 nm||SW|
|Baker Island||Thu 2:58 AM||2391 km||1486 miles||1291 nm||W|
|Alofi||Thu 3:58 AM||2494 km||1550 miles||1347 nm||SW|
|Honolulu||Thu 4:58 AM||2583 km||1605 miles||1395 nm||N|
|Funafuti||Fri 2:58 AM||2939 km||1826 miles||1587 nm||WSW|
|Nukualofa||Fri 3:58 AM||3049 km||1895 miles||1646 nm||SW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.