Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 19:08:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 65%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 19:08:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 448.78 meters/second, 1615.6 km/hour, 1003.9 miles/hour or 872.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.6"||16.73 mi||west||0° 00' 11.5"||0.22 mi||south||16.73 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 38.7"||1003.84 mi||west||0° 11' 37.7"||13.32 mi||south||1003.85 mi|
|24 hours||11° 33' 20.3"||798.49 mi||east||4° 36' 20.9"||316.50 mi||south||856.74 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Mount Hagen||Fri 5:08 AM||351 km||218 miles||190 nm||S|
|Jayapura||Fri 4:08 AM||407 km||253 miles||220 nm||W|
|Lae||Fri 5:08 AM||534 km||332 miles||288 nm||SSE|
|Port Moresby||Fri 5:08 AM||811 km||504 miles||438 nm||SSE|
|Manokwari||Fri 4:08 AM||1164 km||723 miles||628 nm||W|
|Melekeok||Fri 4:08 AM||1562 km||970 miles||843 nm||NW|
|Cairns||Fri 5:08 AM||1582 km||983 miles||854 nm||S|
|Hagåtña||Fri 5:08 AM||1788 km||1111 miles||965 nm||N|
|Darwin||Fri 4:38 AM||1842 km||1144 miles||994 nm||SW|
|Palikir||Fri 6:08 AM||1865 km||1159 miles||1007 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.