Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, January 4, 2013 at 07:18:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 59%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, January 4, 2013 at 07:18:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 447.27 meters/second, 1610.2 km/hour, 1000.5 miles/hour or 869.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.1"||16.67 mi||west||0° 00' 11.5"||0.22 mi||south||16.68 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 05.8"||1000.44 mi||west||0° 11' 31.7"||13.20 mi||south||1000.38 mi|
|24 hours||11° 49' 23.4"||814.73 mi||east||4° 30' 35.9"||309.94 mi||south||868.27 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Fernando de Noronha||Fri 5:18 AM||126 km||78 miles||68 nm||N|
|Natal||Fri 4:18 AM||333 km||207 miles||180 nm||WSW|
|Recife||Fri 4:18 AM||441 km||274 miles||238 nm||SW|
|Maceió||Fri 4:18 AM||635 km||395 miles||343 nm||SW|
|Fortaleza||Fri 4:18 AM||708 km||440 miles||382 nm||WNW|
|Salvador||Fri 4:18 AM||1107 km||688 miles||598 nm||SW|
|Belém||Fri 4:18 AM||1838 km||1142 miles||992 nm||WNW|
|Brasilia *||Fri 5:18 AM||2075 km||1289 miles||1120 nm||SW|
|Rio de Janeiro *||Fri 5:18 AM||2302 km||1430 miles||1243 nm||SSW|
|Praia||Fri 6:18 AM||2411 km||1498 miles||1302 nm||NNE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.