Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, January 4, 2013 at 08:18:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 59%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, January 4, 2013 at 08:18:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 447.11 meters/second, 1609.6 km/hour, 1000.2 miles/hour or 869.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.1"||16.67 mi||west||0° 00' 11.5"||0.22 mi||south||16.67 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 02.9"||1000.08 mi||west||0° 11' 30.9"||13.19 mi||south||1000.02 mi|
|24 hours||11° 50' 50.8"||816.16 mi||east||4° 29' 57.5"||309.21 mi||south||869.25 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Belém||Fri 5:18 AM||455 km||283 miles||246 nm||NNW|
|Fortaleza||Fri 5:18 AM||932 km||579 miles||503 nm||E|
|Brasilia *||Fri 6:18 AM||1174 km||730 miles||634 nm||S|
|Salvador||Fri 5:18 AM||1256 km||781 miles||678 nm||SE|
|Cayenne||Fri 5:18 AM||1278 km||794 miles||690 nm||NNW|
|Recife||Fri 5:18 AM||1361 km||846 miles||735 nm||ESE|
|Manaus||Fri 4:18 AM||1481 km||920 miles||799 nm||W|
|Paramaribo||Fri 5:18 AM||1532 km||952 miles||827 nm||NW|
|Georgetown||Fri 4:18 AM||1831 km||1137 miles||988 nm||NW|
|Rio de Janeiro *||Fri 6:18 AM||2002 km||1244 miles||1081 nm||S|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.