Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, January 4, 2013 at 13:58:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 56%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, January 4, 2013 at 13:58:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 446.11 meters/second, 1606.0 km/hour, 997.9 miles/hour or 867.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.7"||16.63 mi||west||0° 00' 11.3"||0.22 mi||south||16.63 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 44.6"||997.83 mi||west||0° 11' 24.7"||13.07 mi||south||997.73 mi|
|24 hours||11° 59' 28.3"||824.49 mi||east||4° 25' 50.3"||304.51 mi||south||874.85 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Fri 5:58 AM||2078 km||1291 miles||1122 nm||S|
|Papeete||Fri 3:58 AM||2547 km||1583 miles||1375 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island *||Fri 8:58 AM||3109 km||1932 miles||1679 nm||SE|
|Kiritimati||Sat 3:58 AM||3265 km||2029 miles||1763 nm||WNW|
|Rarotonga||Fri 3:58 AM||3693 km||2295 miles||1994 nm||WSW|
|Mexico City||Fri 7:58 AM||4347 km||2701 miles||2347 nm||NE|
|Hermosillo||Fri 6:58 AM||4371 km||2716 miles||2360 nm||NNE|
|Honolulu||Fri 3:58 AM||4381 km||2722 miles||2366 nm||NW|
|Los Angeles||Fri 5:58 AM||4611 km||2865 miles||2490 nm||NNE|
|Alofi||Fri 2:58 AM||4637 km||2881 miles||2504 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.