Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, January 4, 2013 at 15:48:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 56%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, January 4, 2013 at 15:48:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 445.75 meters/second, 1604.7 km/hour, 997.1 miles/hour or 866.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||16.62 mi||west||0° 00' 11.3"||0.22 mi||south||16.62 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 38.4"||996.95 mi||west||0° 11' 22.4"||13.03 mi||south||996.84 mi|
|24 hours||12° 02' 23.8"||827.21 mi||east||4° 24' 19.3"||302.76 mi||south||876.62 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Sat 5:48 AM||960 km||596 miles||518 nm||N|
|Papeete||Fri 5:48 AM||1376 km||855 miles||743 nm||SSE|
|Rarotonga||Fri 5:48 AM||1671 km||1038 miles||902 nm||SSW|
|Fakaofo||Sat 4:48 AM||1737 km||1079 miles||938 nm||W|
|Apia *||Sat 5:48 AM||1929 km||1198 miles||1041 nm||WSW|
|Alofi||Fri 4:48 AM||2060 km||1280 miles||1113 nm||SW|
|Baker Island||Fri 3:48 AM||2428 km||1509 miles||1311 nm||WNW|
|Nukualofa||Sat 4:48 AM||2640 km||1641 miles||1426 nm||SW|
|Funafuti||Sat 3:48 AM||2774 km||1723 miles||1498 nm||W|
|Suva *||Sat 4:48 AM||3080 km||1914 miles||1663 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.