Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, January 4, 2013 at 20:18:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 54%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Friday, December 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, January 4, 2013 at 20:18:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 444.79 meters/second, 1601.3 km/hour, 995.0 miles/hour or 864.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.4"||16.58 mi||west||0° 00' 11.2"||0.22 mi||south||16.58 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 22.3"||994.88 mi||west||0° 11' 15.6"||12.90 mi||south||994.75 mi|
|24 hours||12° 09' 50.7"||834.26 mi||east||4° 20' 12.0"||298.07 mi||south||881.24 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Jayapura||Sat 5:18 AM||581 km||361 miles||314 nm||NNE|
|Mount Hagen||Sat 6:18 AM||607 km||377 miles||328 nm||ENE|
|Lae||Sat 6:18 AM||887 km||551 miles||479 nm||E|
|Manokwari||Sat 5:18 AM||916 km||569 miles||495 nm||NW|
|Port Moresby||Sat 6:18 AM||927 km||576 miles||501 nm||ESE|
|Darwin||Sat 5:48 AM||1048 km||651 miles||566 nm||WSW|
|Cairns||Sat 6:18 AM||1276 km||793 miles||689 nm||SE|
|Dili||Sat 5:18 AM||1484 km||922 miles||801 nm||W|
|Melekeok||Sat 5:18 AM||1729 km||1075 miles||934 nm||NNW|
|Manado||Sat 4:18 AM||1861 km||1156 miles||1005 nm||WNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.