Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 08:58:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 48%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:59 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:45 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 08:58:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 441.63 meters/second, 1589.9 km/hour, 987.9 miles/hour or 858.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 29.5"||16.46 mi||west||0° 00' 10.7"||0.21 mi||south||16.46 mi|
|1 hour||14° 29' 31.5"||987.69 mi||west||0° 10' 49.3"||12.40 mi||south||987.50 mi|
|24 hours||12° 32' 38.0"||854.93 mi||east||4° 05' 29.3"||281.24 mi||south||894.28 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Salvador||Sat 5:58 AM||732 km||455 miles||395 nm||ESE|
|Brasilia *||Sat 6:58 AM||759 km||472 miles||410 nm||SSW|
|Fortaleza||Sat 5:58 AM||931 km||579 miles||503 nm||NE|
|Belém||Sat 5:58 AM||1032 km||642 miles||557 nm||NNW|
|Recife||Sat 5:58 AM||1064 km||661 miles||574 nm||E|
|Rio de Janeiro *||Sat 6:58 AM||1458 km||906 miles||787 nm||S|
|São Paulo *||Sat 6:58 AM||1537 km||955 miles||830 nm||S|
|Cayenne||Sat 5:58 AM||1856 km||1153 miles||1002 nm||NNW|
|Manaus||Sat 4:58 AM||1881 km||1169 miles||1015 nm||WNW|
|Paramaribo||Sat 5:58 AM||2104 km||1307 miles||1136 nm||NW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.