Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 15:08:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 45%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 15:08:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 439.85 meters/second, 1583.4 km/hour, 983.9 miles/hour or 855.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 29.0"||16.40 mi||west||0° 00' 10.5"||0.20 mi||south||16.40 mi|
|1 hour||14° 29' 04.1"||983.76 mi||west||0° 10' 32.4"||12.08 mi||south||983.54 mi|
|24 hours||12° 44' 37.8"||865.56 mi||east||3° 56' 31.7"||271.01 mi||south||900.84 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Sat 5:38 AM||639 km||397 miles||345 nm||WNW|
|Adamstown||Sat 7:08 AM||1616 km||1004 miles||873 nm||SSE|
|Papeete||Sat 5:08 AM||1828 km||1136 miles||987 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Sun 5:08 AM||2945 km||1830 miles||1590 nm||WNW|
|Rarotonga||Sat 5:08 AM||2976 km||1849 miles||1607 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island *||Sat 10:08 AM||3142 km||1952 miles||1697 nm||SE|
|Alofi||Sat 4:08 AM||3956 km||2458 miles||2136 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Sun 4:08 AM||4080 km||2535 miles||2203 nm||W|
|Apia *||Sun 5:08 AM||4114 km||2556 miles||2221 nm||W|
|Honolulu||Sat 5:08 AM||4419 km||2746 miles||2386 nm||NW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.