Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 20:34:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 42%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 20:34:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 438.18 meters/second, 1577.4 km/hour, 980.2 miles/hour or 851.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 28.6"||16.34 mi||west||0° 00' 10.2"||0.20 mi||south||16.34 mi|
|1 hour||14° 28' 38.6"||980.02 mi||west||0° 10' 15.2"||11.75 mi||south||979.78 mi|
|24 hours||12° 55' 31.6"||874.98 mi||east||3° 47' 39.9"||260.87 mi||south||906.58 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Port Moresby||Sun 6:34 AM||270 km||168 miles||146 nm||N|
|Lae||Sun 6:34 AM||572 km||355 miles||309 nm||N|
|Cairns||Sun 6:34 AM||580 km||361 miles||313 nm||SSW|
|Jayapura||Sun 5:34 AM||1265 km||786 miles||683 nm||NW|
|Honiara||Sun 7:34 AM||1411 km||877 miles||762 nm||E|
|Darwin||Sun 6:04 AM||1792 km||1113 miles||968 nm||W|
|Brisbane||Sun 6:34 AM||1825 km||1134 miles||986 nm||SSE|
|Manokwari||Sun 5:34 AM||1904 km||1183 miles||1028 nm||NW|
|Alice Springs||Sun 6:04 AM||1930 km||1200 miles||1042 nm||SW|
|Port Vila||Sun 7:34 AM||2351 km||1461 miles||1269 nm||ESE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.