Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 14:56:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 34%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 14:56:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 432.07 meters/second, 1555.5 km/hour, 966.5 miles/hour or 839.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 27.0"||16.11 mi||west||0° 00' 09.0"||0.17 mi||south||16.11 mi|
|1 hour||14° 27' 06.2"||966.25 mi||west||0° 08' 59.7"||10.31 mi||south||965.97 mi|
|24 hours||13° 33' 36.8"||906.66 mi||east||3° 10' 34.0"||218.40 mi||south||925.65 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Easter Island *||Sun 9:56 AM||1647 km||1023 miles||889 nm||SSE|
|Adamstown||Sun 6:56 AM||1666 km||1035 miles||900 nm||SW|
|Papeete||Sun 4:56 AM||3344 km||2078 miles||1806 nm||W|
|Galapagos Islands||Sun 8:56 AM||3521 km||2188 miles||1901 nm||ENE|
|Mexico City||Sun 8:56 AM||4339 km||2696 miles||2343 nm||NNE|
|Rarotonga||Sun 4:56 AM||4427 km||2751 miles||2390 nm||WSW|
|Guatemala||Sun 8:56 AM||4475 km||2780 miles||2416 nm||NE|
|Lima||Sun 9:56 AM||4482 km||2785 miles||2420 nm||E|
|San Salvador||Sun 8:56 AM||4507 km||2800 miles||2434 nm||NE|
|Managua||Sun 8:56 AM||4633 km||2879 miles||2502 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.