Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 14:56:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 34%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:59 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:45 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 14:56:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 432.08 meters/second, 1555.5 km/hour, 966.5 miles/hour or 839.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 27.0"||16.11 mi||west||0° 00' 09.0"||0.17 mi||south||16.11 mi|
|1 hour||14° 27' 06.3"||966.26 mi||west||0° 08' 59.7"||10.31 mi||south||965.98 mi|
|24 hours||13° 33' 34.5"||906.63 mi||east||3° 10' 36.5"||218.45 mi||south||925.63 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Easter Island *||Sun 9:56 AM||1631 km||1014 miles||881 nm||SSE|
|Adamstown||Sun 6:56 AM||1687 km||1048 miles||911 nm||SW|
|Papeete||Sun 4:56 AM||3373 km||2096 miles||1821 nm||W|
|Galapagos Islands||Sun 8:56 AM||3495 km||2172 miles||1887 nm||ENE|
|Mexico City||Sun 8:56 AM||4324 km||2687 miles||2335 nm||NNE|
|Lima||Sun 9:56 AM||4453 km||2767 miles||2404 nm||E|
|Guatemala||Sun 8:56 AM||4454 km||2768 miles||2405 nm||NE|
|Rarotonga||Sun 4:56 AM||4455 km||2768 miles||2405 nm||WSW|
|San Salvador||Sun 8:56 AM||4486 km||2787 miles||2422 nm||NE|
|Managua||Sun 8:56 AM||4610 km||2865 miles||2489 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.