Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 15:58:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 34%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 15:58:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 431.72 meters/second, 1554.2 km/hour, 965.7 miles/hour or 839.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 27.0"||16.09 mi||west||0° 00' 09.0"||0.17 mi||south||16.10 mi|
|1 hour||14° 27' 00.8"||965.45 mi||west||0° 08' 54.7"||10.21 mi||south||965.17 mi|
|24 hours||13° 35' 45.5"||908.40 mi||east||3° 08' 08.9"||215.63 mi||south||926.70 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Gambier Islands||Sun 6:58 AM||915 km||569 miles||494 nm||S|
|Taiohae||Sun 6:28 AM||946 km||588 miles||511 nm||NW|
|Adamstown||Sun 7:58 AM||1162 km||722 miles||628 nm||SSE|
|Papeete||Sun 5:58 AM||1759 km||1093 miles||950 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island *||Sun 10:58 AM||2820 km||1752 miles||1523 nm||ESE|
|Rarotonga||Sun 5:58 AM||2880 km||1789 miles||1555 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Mon 5:58 AM||3238 km||2012 miles||1749 nm||WNW|
|Alofi||Sun 4:58 AM||3915 km||2433 miles||2114 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Mon 5:58 AM||4144 km||2575 miles||2237 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Mon 4:58 AM||4168 km||2590 miles||2251 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.