Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Monday, January 7, 2013 at 17:26:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 23%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Monday, January 7, 2013 at 17:26:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 423.31 meters/second, 1523.9 km/hour, 946.9 miles/hour or 822.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.8"||15.78 mi||west||0° 00' 06.3"||0.12 mi||south||15.78 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 49.3"||946.60 mi||west||0° 06' 21.9"||7.30 mi||south||946.33 mi|
|24 hours||14° 24' 45.3"||946.53 mi||east||1° 57' 50.6"||135.09 mi||south||950.61 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Gambier Islands||Mon 8:26 AM||815 km||506 miles||440 nm||SE|
|Papeete||Mon 7:26 AM||926 km||575 miles||500 nm||W|
|Adamstown||Mon 9:26 AM||1341 km||833 miles||724 nm||SE|
|Rarotonga||Mon 7:26 AM||2007 km||1247 miles||1084 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Tue 7:26 AM||2870 km||1783 miles||1550 nm||NW|
|Alofi||Mon 6:26 AM||3063 km||1903 miles||1654 nm||W|
|Apia *||Tue 7:26 AM||3340 km||2075 miles||1803 nm||W|
|Easter Island *||Mon 12:26 PM||3372 km||2095 miles||1820 nm||ESE|
|Fakaofo||Tue 6:26 AM||3423 km||2127 miles||1848 nm||WNW|
|Nukualofa||Tue 6:26 AM||3606 km||2241 miles||1947 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.