Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Monday, January 7, 2013 at 18:26:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 22%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Monday, January 7, 2013 at 18:26:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 423.01 meters/second, 1522.8 km/hour, 946.2 miles/hour or 822.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.7"||15.77 mi||west||0° 00' 06.2"||0.12 mi||south||15.77 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 44.3"||945.93 mi||west||0° 06' 14.9"||7.16 mi||south||945.67 mi|
|24 hours||14° 26' 25.1"||947.76 mi||east||1° 54' 41.4"||131.48 mi||south||951.44 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Rarotonga||Mon 8:26 AM||565 km||351 miles||305 nm||SW|
|Papeete||Mon 8:26 AM||612 km||381 miles||331 nm||E|
|Alofi||Mon 7:26 AM||1545 km||960 miles||834 nm||W|
|Apia *||Tue 8:26 AM||1835 km||1140 miles||991 nm||WNW|
|Fakaofo||Tue 7:26 AM||1992 km||1238 miles||1076 nm||WNW|
|Nukualofa||Tue 7:26 AM||2108 km||1310 miles||1138 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Tue 8:26 AM||2255 km||1401 miles||1217 nm||N|
|Adamstown||Mon 10:26 AM||2701 km||1679 miles||1459 nm||ESE|
|Suva *||Tue 7:26 AM||2779 km||1727 miles||1500 nm||W|
|Funafuti||Tue 6:26 AM||2966 km||1843 miles||1602 nm||WNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.