Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 18:20:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
The moon is so close to the Sun that it hard to see from earth.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 2%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:59 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:45 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 18:20:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 418.14 meters/second, 1505.3 km/hour, 935.4 miles/hour or 812.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 22.7"||15.59 mi||west||0° 00' 04.1"||0.08 mi||north||15.59 mi|
|1 hour||14° 22' 45.4"||935.08 mi||west||0° 04' 12.3"||4.82 mi||north||935.30 mi|
|24 hours||14° 39' 30.8"||953.23 mi||east||2° 19' 07.2"||159.48 mi||north||973.09 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Easter Island *||Thu 1:20 PM||791 km||492 miles||427 nm||S|
|Adamstown||Thu 10:20 AM||2224 km||1382 miles||1201 nm||WSW|
|Galapagos Islands||Thu 12:20 PM||2997 km||1862 miles||1618 nm||NE|
|Lima||Thu 1:20 PM||3542 km||2201 miles||1913 nm||E|
|Quito||Thu 1:20 PM||3991 km||2480 miles||2155 nm||ENE|
|Santiago *||Thu 3:20 PM||4085 km||2539 miles||2206 nm||ESE|
|Papeete||Thu 8:20 AM||4258 km||2646 miles||2299 nm||W|
|San Jose||Thu 12:20 PM||4299 km||2671 miles||2321 nm||NE|
|San Salvador||Thu 12:20 PM||4317 km||2682 miles||2331 nm||NNE|
|Guatemala||Thu 12:20 PM||4333 km||2692 miles||2339 nm||NNE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.