Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, January 11, 2013 at 00:24:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
The moon is so close to the Sun that it hard to see from earth.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 1%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:59 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:45 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, January 11, 2013 at 00:24:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 419.48 meters/second, 1510.1 km/hour, 938.3 miles/hour or 815.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 23.0"||15.64 mi||west||0° 00' 05.0"||0.10 mi||north||15.64 mi|
|1 hour||14° 23' 01.6"||938.08 mi||west||0° 05' 04.6"||5.82 mi||north||938.34 mi|
|24 hours||14° 30' 36.5"||946.32 mi||east||2° 38' 06.2"||181.23 mi||north||970.71 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Noumea||Fri 11:24 AM||430 km||267 miles||232 nm||SE|
|Port Vila||Fri 11:24 AM||536 km||333 miles||289 nm||ENE|
|Luganville||Fri 11:24 AM||581 km||361 miles||314 nm||NE|
|Honiara||Fri 11:24 AM||1178 km||732 miles||636 nm||NNW|
|Brisbane||Fri 10:24 AM||1394 km||866 miles||753 nm||SW|
|Suva *||Fri 1:24 PM||1572 km||977 miles||849 nm||E|
|Cairns||Fri 10:24 AM||1903 km||1183 miles||1028 nm||W|
|Sydney *||Fri 11:24 AM||2011 km||1249 miles||1086 nm||SW|
|Funafuti||Fri 12:24 PM||2077 km||1291 miles||1121 nm||ENE|
|Port Moresby||Fri 10:24 AM||2084 km||1295 miles||1125 nm||WNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.