Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, January 11, 2013 at 23:00:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
The moon is so close to the Sun that it is probably impossible to see from earth
Fraction of moon illuminated: 0%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Friday, January 18, 2013 at 11:45 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, January 11, 2013 at 23:00:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 426.13 meters/second, 1534.1 km/hour, 953.2 miles/hour or 828.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.5"||15.89 mi||west||0° 00' 07.9"||0.15 mi||north||15.89 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 29.7"||953.01 mi||west||0° 07' 56.8"||9.11 mi||north||953.39 mi|
|24 hours||13° 49' 35.3"||914.55 mi||east||3° 38' 14.2"||250.08 mi||north||956.06 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Rarotonga||Fri 1:00 PM||521 km||324 miles||282 nm||SSE|
|Alofi||Fri 12:00 Noon||867 km||539 miles||468 nm||WSW|
|Pago Pago||Fri 12:00 Noon||981 km||609 miles||529 nm||WNW|
|Apia *||Sat 1:00 PM||1106 km||687 miles||597 nm||WNW|
|Fakaofo||Sat 12:00 Noon||1310 km||814 miles||707 nm||NW|
|Papeete||Fri 1:00 PM||1324 km||823 miles||715 nm||E|
|Nukualofa||Sat 12:00 Noon||1460 km||907 miles||788 nm||WSW|
|Suva *||Sat 12:00 Noon||2080 km||1292 miles||1123 nm||W|
|Kiritimati||Sat 1:00 PM||2152 km||1337 miles||1162 nm||NNE|
|Funafuti||Sat 11:00 AM||2243 km||1394 miles||1211 nm||WNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.