Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, January 12, 2013 at 02:20:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
The moon is so close to the Sun that it is probably impossible to see from earth
Fraction of moon illuminated: 0%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Friday, January 18, 2013 at 11:45 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, January 12, 2013 at 02:20:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 427.26 meters/second, 1538.1 km/hour, 955.8 miles/hour or 830.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.6"||15.93 mi||west||0° 00' 08.2"||0.16 mi||north||15.93 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 45.3"||955.55 mi||west||0° 08' 18.7"||9.53 mi||north||955.94 mi|
|24 hours||13° 42' 54.1"||909.32 mi||east||3° 45' 31.6"||258.43 mi||north||953.20 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Cairns||Sat 12:20 PM||448 km||278 miles||242 nm||W|
|Port Moresby||Sat 12:20 PM||844 km||524 miles||455 nm||NNW|
|Brisbane||Sat 12:20 PM||1247 km||775 miles||673 nm||SSE|
|Honiara||Sat 1:20 PM||1341 km||833 miles||724 nm||NE|
|Jayapura||Sat 11:20 AM||1854 km||1152 miles||1001 nm||NW|
|Alice Springs||Sat 11:50 AM||1856 km||1153 miles||1002 nm||WSW|
|Sydney *||Sat 1:20 PM||1919 km||1193 miles||1036 nm||S|
|Port Vila||Sat 1:20 PM||1957 km||1216 miles||1056 nm||E|
|Canberra *||Sat 1:20 PM||2074 km||1289 miles||1120 nm||S|
|Darwin||Sat 11:50 AM||2109 km||1311 miles||1139 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.