Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, January 12, 2013 at 22:20:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
The moon is so close to the Sun that it hard to see from earth.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 2%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:45 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Friday, January 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, January 12, 2013 at 22:20:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 434.28 meters/second, 1563.4 km/hour, 971.4 miles/hour or 844.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 26.3"||16.19 mi||west||0° 00' 10.0"||0.19 mi||north||16.19 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 25.8"||971.29 mi||west||0° 10' 07.6"||11.60 mi||north||971.70 mi|
|24 hours||13° 02' 12.1"||876.89 mi||east||4° 20' 19.1"||298.21 mi||north||932.93 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Sat 12:50 PM||515 km||320 miles||278 nm||NNW|
|Papeete||Sat 12:20 PM||1289 km||801 miles||696 nm||WSW|
|Adamstown||Sat 2:20 PM||1541 km||958 miles||832 nm||SSE|
|Rarotonga||Sat 12:20 PM||2436 km||1513 miles||1315 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Sun 12:20 PM||2704 km||1680 miles||1460 nm||NW|
|Easter Island *||Sat 5:20 PM||3365 km||2091 miles||1817 nm||ESE|
|Alofi||Sat 11:20 AM||3431 km||2132 miles||1853 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Sun 12:20 PM||3620 km||2249 miles||1955 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Sun 11:20 AM||3622 km||2250 miles||1955 nm||W|
|Nukualofa||Sun 11:20 AM||4004 km||2488 miles||2162 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.