Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 18:36:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 29%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Friday, January 18, 2013 at 11:45 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 18:36:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 448.26 meters/second, 1613.7 km/hour, 1002.7 miles/hour or 871.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.0"||16.71 mi||west||0° 00' 11.2"||0.22 mi||north||16.71 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 05.4"||1002.71 mi||west||0° 11' 15.1"||12.89 mi||north||1002.67 mi|
|24 hours||11° 04' 29.2"||764.02 mi||east||4° 18' 48.1"||296.42 mi||north||816.85 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Fortaleza||Wed 3:36 PM||928 km||577 miles||501 nm||SSW|
|Fernando de Noronha||Wed 4:36 PM||985 km||612 miles||532 nm||SSE|
|Recife||Wed 3:36 PM||1370 km||851 miles||740 nm||S|
|Belém||Wed 3:36 PM||1523 km||946 miles||822 nm||WSW|
|Praia||Wed 5:36 PM||1809 km||1124 miles||977 nm||NE|
|Cayenne||Wed 3:36 PM||1812 km||1126 miles||979 nm||W|
|Salvador||Wed 3:36 PM||1922 km||1194 miles||1038 nm||S|
|Paramaribo||Wed 3:36 PM||2131 km||1324 miles||1151 nm||W|
|Dakar||Wed 6:36 PM||2341 km||1455 miles||1264 nm||ENE|
|Banjul||Wed 6:36 PM||2366 km||1470 miles||1278 nm||ENE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.