Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Monday, January 21, 2013 at 06:36:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 71%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Friday, January 18, 2013 at 11:45 PM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 4:39 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Monday, January 21, 2013 at 06:36:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 424.56 meters/second, 1528.4 km/hour, 949.7 miles/hour or 825.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.5"||15.83 mi||west||0° 00' 04.2"||0.08 mi||north||15.83 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 28.6"||949.47 mi||west||0° 04' 17.1"||4.91 mi||north||949.28 mi|
|24 hours||11° 29' 57.7"||751.79 mi||east||1° 18' 09.0"||89.60 mi||north||754.11 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Honolulu||Sun 8:36 PM||885 km||550 miles||478 nm||ENE|
|Midway||Sun 7:36 PM||1536 km||955 miles||830 nm||NW|
|Kiritimati||Mon 8:36 PM||2128 km||1322 miles||1149 nm||SSE|
|Baker Island||Sun 6:36 PM||2385 km||1482 miles||1288 nm||SSW|
|Majuro||Mon 6:36 PM||2799 km||1739 miles||1511 nm||WSW|
|Wake Island||Mon 6:36 PM||2874 km||1786 miles||1552 nm||W|
|Tarawa||Mon 6:36 PM||3013 km||1872 miles||1627 nm||SW|
|Fakaofo||Mon 7:36 PM||3201 km||1989 miles||1728 nm||S|
|Funafuti||Mon 6:36 PM||3459 km||2150 miles||1868 nm||SSW|
|Yaren||Mon 6:36 PM||3671 km||2281 miles||1982 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.