Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 08:02:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 92%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Friday, January 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 4:40 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 08:02:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 421.21 meters/second, 1516.3 km/hour, 942.2 miles/hour or 818.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||15.70 mi||west||0° 00' 02.5"||0.05 mi||south||15.70 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 41.9"||941.90 mi||west||0° 02' 38.7"||3.03 mi||south||942.04 mi|
|24 hours||11° 41' 16.9"||758.72 mi||east||1° 29' 33.9"||102.68 mi||south||769.14 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Hilo||Wed 10:02 PM||364 km||226 miles||197 nm||W|
|Wailuku||Wed 10:02 PM||511 km||317 miles||276 nm||W|
|Honolulu||Wed 10:02 PM||657 km||408 miles||355 nm||WNW|
|Kiritimati||Thu 10:02 PM||2124 km||1320 miles||1147 nm||SSW|
|Midway||Wed 9:02 PM||2751 km||1710 miles||1486 nm||WNW|
|San Francisco||Thu 12:02 AM||3423 km||2127 miles||1848 nm||NE|
|Baker Island||Wed 8:02 PM||3497 km||2173 miles||1888 nm||SW|
|Los Angeles||Thu 12:02 AM||3625 km||2253 miles||1957 nm||ENE|
|Fakaofo||Thu 9:02 PM||3914 km||2432 miles||2114 nm||SW|
|Unalaska||Wed 11:02 PM||3946 km||2452 miles||2131 nm||NNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.