Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 09:02:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 93%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Friday, January 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 4:40 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 09:02:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 421.33 meters/second, 1516.8 km/hour, 942.5 miles/hour or 819.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||15.71 mi||west||0° 00' 02.7"||0.05 mi||south||15.71 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 42.1"||942.17 mi||west||0° 02' 44.5"||3.14 mi||south||942.32 mi|
|24 hours||11° 41' 04.3"||758.71 mi||east||1° 31' 48.6"||105.25 mi||south||769.56 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Honolulu||Wed 11:02 PM||874 km||543 miles||472 nm||E|
|Midway||Wed 10:02 PM||1443 km||897 miles||779 nm||NW|
|Kiritimati||Thu 11:02 PM||2243 km||1394 miles||1211 nm||SSE|
|Baker Island||Wed 9:02 PM||2481 km||1542 miles||1340 nm||SSW|
|Majuro||Thu 9:02 PM||2836 km||1762 miles||1531 nm||WSW|
|Wake Island||Thu 9:02 PM||2849 km||1770 miles||1538 nm||W|
|Tarawa||Thu 9:02 PM||3074 km||1910 miles||1660 nm||SW|
|Fakaofo||Thu 10:02 PM||3316 km||2061 miles||1791 nm||S|
|Funafuti||Thu 9:02 PM||3556 km||2210 miles||1920 nm||SSW|
|Adak||Wed 11:02 PM||3631 km||2257 miles||1961 nm||NNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.