Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 09:12:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 93%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Friday, January 18, 2013 at 11:45 PM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 4:39 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 09:12:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 421.35 meters/second, 1516.9 km/hour, 942.5 miles/hour or 819.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||15.71 mi||west||0° 00' 02.7"||0.05 mi||south||15.71 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 42.1"||942.23 mi||west||0° 02' 45.4"||3.16 mi||south||942.37 mi|
|24 hours||11° 41' 02.0"||758.71 mi||east||1° 32' 13.5"||105.73 mi||south||769.63 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Honolulu||Wed 11:12 PM||1152 km||716 miles||622 nm||E|
|Midway||Wed 10:12 PM||1240 km||771 miles||670 nm||NW|
|Baker Island||Wed 9:12 PM||2362 km||1468 miles||1275 nm||SSW|
|Kiritimati||Thu 11:12 PM||2382 km||1480 miles||1286 nm||SSE|
|Wake Island||Thu 9:12 PM||2568 km||1596 miles||1387 nm||W|
|Majuro||Thu 9:12 PM||2590 km||1610 miles||1399 nm||WSW|
|Tarawa||Thu 9:12 PM||2865 km||1780 miles||1547 nm||SW|
|Fakaofo||Thu 10:12 PM||3279 km||2037 miles||1770 nm||S|
|Funafuti||Thu 9:12 PM||3433 km||2133 miles||1854 nm||SSW|
|Yaren||Thu 9:12 PM||3497 km||2173 miles||1888 nm||SW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.