Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 10:20:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 100%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 4:40 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 10:20:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 437.98 meters/second, 1576.7 km/hour, 979.7 miles/hour or 851.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.6"||16.33 mi||west||0° 00' 08.7"||0.17 mi||south||16.33 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 44.3"||979.56 mi||west||0° 08' 51.4"||10.15 mi||south||979.90 mi|
|24 hours||11° 14' 19.8"||757.77 mi||east||3° 48' 59.5"||262.32 mi||south||806.81 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Honolulu||Sun 12:20 AM||1220 km||758 miles||659 nm||NW|
|Kiritimati||Mon 12:20 AM||1442 km||896 miles||778 nm||SSW|
|Baker Island||Sat 10:20 PM||3203 km||1990 miles||1730 nm||WSW|
|Midway||Sat 11:20 PM||3269 km||2031 miles||1765 nm||NW|
|Papeete||Sun 12:20 AM||3370 km||2094 miles||1820 nm||S|
|Fakaofo||Sun 11:20 PM||3373 km||2096 miles||1821 nm||SW|
|Apia *||Mon 12:20 AM||3783 km||2351 miles||2043 nm||SW|
|San Francisco||Sun 2:20 AM||3907 km||2428 miles||2110 nm||NE|
|Rarotonga||Sun 12:20 AM||3915 km||2432 miles||2114 nm||SSW|
|Los Angeles||Sun 2:20 AM||4003 km||2487 miles||2161 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.