Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Monday, January 28, 2013 at 10:38:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 98%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 4:40 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Monday, January 28, 2013 at 10:38:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 443.89 meters/second, 1598.0 km/hour, 993.0 miles/hour or 862.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.0"||16.55 mi||west||0° 00' 10.2"||0.19 mi||south||16.55 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 03.2"||992.83 mi||west||0° 10' 13.7"||11.72 mi||south||993.13 mi|
|24 hours||11° 09' 20.4"||762.06 mi||east||4° 16' 57.3"||294.29 mi||south||820.46 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Tue 12:38 AM||1723 km||1071 miles||931 nm||WSW|
|Honolulu||Mon 12:38 AM||2049 km||1273 miles||1106 nm||NW|
|Papeete||Mon 12:38 AM||3015 km||1873 miles||1628 nm||SSW|
|Fakaofo||Mon 11:38 PM||3685 km||2290 miles||1990 nm||WSW|
|Baker Island||Sun 10:38 PM||3782 km||2350 miles||2042 nm||WSW|
|Los Angeles||Mon 2:38 AM||3786 km||2353 miles||2044 nm||NE|
|Rarotonga||Mon 12:38 AM||3792 km||2356 miles||2048 nm||SSW|
|San Francisco||Mon 2:38 AM||3821 km||2374 miles||2063 nm||NNE|
|Apia *||Tue 12:38 AM||4018 km||2497 miles||2170 nm||SW|
|Adamstown||Mon 2:38 AM||4046 km||2514 miles||2185 nm||SSE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.