Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 10:56:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 95%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 4:39 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 1:57 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 10:56:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 447.99 meters/second, 1612.8 km/hour, 1002.1 miles/hour or 870.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.0"||16.70 mi||west||0° 00' 11.0"||0.21 mi||south||16.70 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 07.3"||1002.03 mi||west||0° 11' 09.3"||12.78 mi||south||1002.24 mi|
|24 hours||11° 11' 27.2"||771.47 mi||east||4° 33' 41.0"||313.41 mi||south||834.29 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Wed 12:56 AM||2281 km||1418 miles||1232 nm||W|
|Papeete||Tue 12:56 AM||2822 km||1753 miles||1524 nm||SSW|
|Honolulu||Tue 12:56 AM||2906 km||1806 miles||1569 nm||NW|
|Adamstown||Tue 2:56 AM||3378 km||2099 miles||1824 nm||SSE|
|Los Angeles||Tue 2:56 AM||3782 km||2350 miles||2042 nm||NNE|
|Rarotonga||Tue 12:56 AM||3797 km||2359 miles||2050 nm||SW|
|Hermosillo||Tue 3:56 AM||3847 km||2390 miles||2077 nm||NE|
|San Francisco||Tue 2:56 AM||3948 km||2453 miles||2132 nm||NNE|
|Phoenix||Tue 3:56 AM||4098 km||2546 miles||2213 nm||NE|
|Fakaofo||Tue 11:56 PM||4105 km||2551 miles||2216 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.