Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 12:40:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 81%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 4:40 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 12:40:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 447.42 meters/second, 1610.7 km/hour, 1000.8 miles/hour or 869.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.1"||16.68 mi||west||0° 00' 11.5"||0.22 mi||south||16.68 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 06.4"||1000.72 mi||west||0° 11' 27.8"||13.13 mi||south||1000.66 mi|
|24 hours||11° 45' 31.9"||810.52 mi||east||4° 28' 08.9"||307.11 mi||south||863.50 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Thu 3:10 AM||464 km||288 miles||250 nm||S|
|Papeete||Thu 2:40 AM||1796 km||1116 miles||970 nm||SW|
|Kiritimati||Fri 2:40 AM||2134 km||1326 miles||1152 nm||WNW|
|Adamstown||Thu 4:40 AM||2449 km||1522 miles||1322 nm||SSE|
|Rarotonga||Thu 2:40 AM||2860 km||1777 miles||1544 nm||SW|
|Honolulu||Thu 2:40 AM||3527 km||2191 miles||1904 nm||NW|
|Fakaofo||Fri 1:40 AM||3559 km||2211 miles||1922 nm||W|
|Alofi||Thu 1:40 AM||3675 km||2284 miles||1984 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Fri 2:40 AM||3696 km||2297 miles||1996 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island *||Thu 7:40 AM||4026 km||2502 miles||2174 nm||SE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.