Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 14:08:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 81%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 4:39 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 1:57 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 14:08:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 447.20 meters/second, 1609.9 km/hour, 1000.4 miles/hour or 869.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.1"||16.67 mi||west||0° 00' 11.3"||0.22 mi||south||16.67 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 03.0"||1000.30 mi||west||0° 11' 26.2"||13.10 mi||south||1000.23 mi|
|24 hours||11° 47' 12.6"||812.15 mi||east||4° 27' 05.1"||305.92 mi||south||864.46 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Fri 4:08 AM||866 km||538 miles||467 nm||NNE|
|Fakaofo||Fri 3:08 AM||1236 km||768 miles||667 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Fri 4:08 AM||1536 km||954 miles||829 nm||SW|
|Rarotonga||Thu 4:08 AM||1790 km||1112 miles||966 nm||S|
|Alofi||Thu 3:08 AM||1828 km||1136 miles||987 nm||SSW|
|Baker Island||Thu 2:08 AM||1829 km||1136 miles||987 nm||WNW|
|Papeete||Thu 4:08 AM||1848 km||1148 miles||998 nm||SE|
|Funafuti||Fri 2:08 AM||2230 km||1386 miles||1204 nm||W|
|Nukualofa||Fri 3:08 AM||2353 km||1462 miles||1271 nm||SW|
|Suva||Fri 2:08 AM||2672 km||1660 miles||1443 nm||SW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.