Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 16:46:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 80%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 4:39 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 1:57 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 16:46:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 446.78 meters/second, 1608.4 km/hour, 999.4 miles/hour or 868.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.9"||16.66 mi||west||0° 00' 11.3"||0.22 mi||south||16.66 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 56.6"||999.36 mi||west||0° 11' 23.0"||13.04 mi||south||999.28 mi|
|24 hours||11° 50' 16.3"||815.00 mi||east||4° 25' 03.7"||303.61 mi||south||866.08 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Honiara||Fri 3:46 AM||436 km||271 miles||236 nm||SSW|
|Gizo||Fri 3:46 AM||525 km||326 miles||284 nm||WSW|
|Arawa||Fri 2:46 AM||592 km||368 miles||320 nm||W|
|Buka||Fri 2:46 AM||688 km||428 miles||371 nm||W|
|Yaren||Fri 4:46 AM||874 km||543 miles||472 nm||NE|
|Palikir||Fri 3:46 AM||1416 km||880 miles||765 nm||NNW|
|Tarawa||Fri 4:46 AM||1555 km||966 miles||840 nm||ENE|
|Port Vila||Fri 3:46 AM||1568 km||974 miles||847 nm||SSE|
|Port Moresby||Fri 2:46 AM||1570 km||975 miles||848 nm||WSW|
|Majuro||Fri 4:46 AM||1817 km||1129 miles||981 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.