Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, March 15, 2013 at 00:34:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 11%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, March 11, 2013 at 7:53 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, March 15, 2013 at 00:34:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 436.41 meters/second, 1571.1 km/hour, 976.2 miles/hour or 848.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.3"||16.27 mi||west||0° 00' 08.2"||0.16 mi||north||16.27 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 25.6"||976.02 mi||west||0° 08' 08.7"||9.33 mi||north||975.79 mi|
|24 hours||11° 27' 57.4"||770.58 mi||east||2° 54' 22.3"||199.82 mi||north||791.13 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Honolulu||Thu 2:34 PM||1102 km||685 miles||595 nm||NW|
|Kiritimati||Fri 2:34 PM||1477 km||917 miles||797 nm||SSW|
|Midway||Thu 1:34 PM||3153 km||1959 miles||1702 nm||NW|
|Baker Island||Thu 12:34 PM||3167 km||1968 miles||1710 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Fri 1:34 PM||3382 km||2102 miles||1826 nm||SW|
|Papeete||Thu 2:34 PM||3460 km||2150 miles||1868 nm||S|
|Apia *||Fri 2:34 PM||3801 km||2362 miles||2052 nm||SW|
|San Francisco *||Thu 5:34 PM||3894 km||2419 miles||2102 nm||NE|
|Rarotonga||Thu 2:34 PM||3979 km||2472 miles||2148 nm||SSW|
|Los Angeles *||Thu 5:34 PM||4007 km||2490 miles||2164 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.