Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, March 15, 2013 at 00:36:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 11%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, March 11, 2013 at 7:53 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, March 15, 2013 at 00:36:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 436.40 meters/second, 1571.0 km/hour, 976.2 miles/hour or 848.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.3"||16.27 mi||west||0° 00' 08.2"||0.16 mi||north||16.27 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 25.6"||976.00 mi||west||0° 08' 08.5"||9.33 mi||north||975.77 mi|
|24 hours||11° 27' 58.0"||770.57 mi||east||2° 54' 18.5"||199.75 mi||north||791.10 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Honolulu||Thu 2:36 PM||1069 km||664 miles||577 nm||NW|
|Kiritimati||Fri 2:36 PM||1453 km||903 miles||785 nm||SSW|
|Midway||Thu 1:36 PM||3110 km||1932 miles||1679 nm||NW|
|Baker Island||Thu 12:36 PM||3120 km||1939 miles||1685 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Fri 1:36 PM||3348 km||2080 miles||1808 nm||SW|
|Papeete||Thu 2:36 PM||3464 km||2152 miles||1870 nm||S|
|Apia *||Fri 2:36 PM||3770 km||2343 miles||2036 nm||SW|
|San Francisco *||Thu 5:36 PM||3928 km||2441 miles||2121 nm||NE|
|Rarotonga||Thu 2:36 PM||3967 km||2465 miles||2142 nm||SSW|
|Los Angeles *||Thu 5:36 PM||4047 km||2515 miles||2185 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.