Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 16:36:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 34%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 4:37 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 16:36:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 433.79 meters/second, 1561.7 km/hour, 970.4 miles/hour or 843.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 27.9"||16.17 mi||west||0° 00' 08.7"||0.17 mi||north||16.17 mi|
|1 hour||14° 27' 57.3"||970.20 mi||west||0° 08' 46.1"||10.05 mi||north||970.56 mi|
|24 hours||12° 32' 29.0"||841.16 mi||east||3° 49' 20.0"||262.74 mi||north||887.37 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Thu 7:06 AM||646 km||401 miles||349 nm||NNW|
|Gambier Islands||Thu 7:36 AM||1010 km||628 miles||545 nm||S|
|Adamstown||Thu 8:36 AM||1393 km||865 miles||752 nm||SSE|
|Papeete||Thu 6:36 AM||1421 km||883 miles||767 nm||WSW|
|Rarotonga||Thu 6:36 AM||2560 km||1591 miles||1382 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Fri 6:36 AM||2881 km||1790 miles||1555 nm||NW|
|Easter Island *||Thu 11:36 AM||3185 km||1979 miles||1720 nm||ESE|
|Alofi||Thu 5:36 AM||3574 km||2221 miles||1930 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Fri 6:36 AM||3779 km||2348 miles||2041 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Fri 5:36 AM||3791 km||2356 miles||2047 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.