Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 16:00:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 48%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Friday, May 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 16:00:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 439.21 meters/second, 1581.2 km/hour, 982.5 miles/hour or 853.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 28.8"||16.37 mi||west||0° 00' 10.0"||0.19 mi||north||16.37 mi|
|1 hour||14° 28' 54.2"||982.37 mi||west||0° 09' 59.5"||11.45 mi||north||982.72 mi|
|24 hours||12° 08' 31.9"||823.69 mi||east||4° 12' 01.4"||288.67 mi||north||877.77 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Thu 6:30 AM||643 km||399 miles||347 nm||ENE|
|Papeete||Thu 6:00 AM||855 km||531 miles||462 nm||SW|
|Rarotonga||Thu 6:00 AM||1932 km||1201 miles||1043 nm||SW|
|Kiritimati||Fri 6:00 AM||2003 km||1245 miles||1082 nm||NW|
|Adamstown||Thu 8:00 AM||2181 km||1355 miles||1178 nm||SE|
|Alofi||Thu 5:00 AM||2819 km||1752 miles||1522 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Fri 5:00 AM||2892 km||1797 miles||1562 nm||W|
|Apia||Fri 5:00 AM||2933 km||1822 miles||1584 nm||W|
|Nukualofa||Fri 5:00 AM||3411 km||2120 miles||1842 nm||WSW|
|Baker Island||Thu 4:00 AM||3717 km||2310 miles||2007 nm||WNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.